Skip to main content

Masak Lemak Pucuk Ubi Tumbuk (Pounded Tapioca leaves in spicy curry)

This is a recipe we have in our family for years. My mother made it, my grandmother and her mother made it. Their version may be different but i suppose the essence is there.

This is a recipe that you would not find in any shop or restaurant. If u want it u have to make it yourself. I love this dish and once he tasted them my husband also love this recipe.

So here is the recipe. The fancy name for it would be pounded tapioca leaves in spicy curry, or we call them ‘masak lemak pucuk ubi tumbuk’. Why do we pound the tapioca leaves? I dunno but I suppose since you’ll mix them with other ingredients they’ll taste better that way.

Ok moving on to the recipe. What we need:

Tapioca leaves (daun pucuk ubi) about 10 stalks
1 cup pea eggplant (terung berembang / terung pipit)
1 - 2 ginger torch flower and the inner stem (batang dan bunga kantan)

Pound all the ingredients together. Cook in a gravy that consist of

7-10 birds eye chillies
5 shallots
1 cup coconut cream
2 cups of water
1 turmeric leaf
1 lemongrass
Salt to taste

*You can add beef, smoked beef, smoked cow / buffalo skin or anchovies for extra flavouring in the curry.

You can cook everything in low heat maybe for 30 minutes until everything is cooked.

This recipe is a bit tedious (the pounding part) but the cooking is easy and if u put beef in the gravy you can have a one pot meal that could be eaten with freshly cooked rice.

Although the recipe could be eaten on it’s own, normally in my family we’ll have some dry sambal (chilli recipe) together with this dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just write...

Someone told me that I need to just write. My feelings, my experience, my travel, anything... Just write them down... Make a schedule and find a time. Don't be too critical on yourself or you won't even start... That would be almost the same message that I've given to my students. but I suppose for a different purpose. To my students I ask them to read and write a lot. Just practice writing as much as you can. You may start shaky and you'll be rereading and rewriting what you've written, but practice makes perfect. writing helps you clear your mind. Writing sharpens your delivery skills for your assignments... Anyway, I hope this is a start. the beginning of a scheduled blog post. I hope I can share a lot with people (well not really).. But I guess what's important is that I'm sharing... perhaps in the future, if there are things that I've forgotten I may be able to look back into my notes and perhaps there's life events that I would cherished in...

Catatan alexandra 2

Sempena hari ibu 10 Mei 2009... daddy tintakan coretan ini untuk puteri daddy....betapa sukarnya ibumu melahirkan mu sayang.... 19.03.09 petang selepas balik kerja... muka mummymu pucat mungkin keletihan asyik keluar masuk bilik air cirit birit dan Dr Faizal bagi MC 2 hari, ibu sabariah n papa musli menjemput kami berdua untuk makan di rumah mereka. dari rumah dalam 6.00 petang kami bertolak dari rumah ambil abg naqib dahulu terus ke desa ilmu....jam 7 mummy dah pecah air ketuban.... pak ngah mu tak abis2 suruh segera ke hospital. menelefon dari Johor...panggilan demi panggilan, sms demi sms.... Mak wan dan tok abah lagi 2 hari baru bertolak dari JB ke Kuching mereka menginap di rumah auntie Vega dahulu. Kami berdua cool jer, solat maghrib dulu, makan mee goreng dulu... barulah bertolak ke Kuching Specialist Hospital, tabuan berjumpa Dr Wendy kemudian admit di ward, mummy tak merasakan kesakitan dan bukaan sampai ke esokan paginyer dalam 2cm sahaja, Dr induce dan bermulalah kesa...

Sessang Memory...

This is basically just some writing that I do for you people who went with me to remember.   The kick start It is all begin in the first week of the semester. Having a Monday class I know that there will not be many that would arrive back in campus. Therefore I seize the moment the catch you people unguarded. With only seven person in the class, I gave the first assignment and I expect all (including those who are not there) to do it. What is the assignment? To organize a promotional / public information event. I know we haven’t even started yet with our chapters but that is how I create the fear in students. I believe some of you would hate me for that. Anyway, the next week you presented your ideas and I commented. There are many good ideas (though I disagree with all the groups) but you need to polish those ideas. Once we’ve listened to everybody I asked you to select and discuss with me on your projects. Group D proposed this project while group C proposed anoth...